Saturday, March 13, 2010

Recognition

It's nice to be known around town - logically because I've been here 'forever' and have taken an active part in community affairs - clubs, organizations, library, PTA, and so on.

My website has the background music "Where everybody knows your name". A Methodist pastor used that phrase in one of his radio 'moments' a while back, describing what a church should strive to be. It's a good feeling to know that people do know who you are - wherever you go. It's nice that our community is kinda like that, too.

I was totally surprised a few weeks ago when I went to the pharmacy at Wal-Mart to get a prescription refilled. The assistant called me by name Before she saw the prescription form! I didn't know her - but she knew who I was. Now every time I go to the pharmacy this young lady will call out a greeting to me by name ! I know I've had many occasions to visit the pharmacy over the years, picking up meds for my sister and now for myself, but I really didn't know I was that recognizable!

A similar incident startled me when I checked in to Admission at Collierville Baptist Hospital for my Ultrasound test this past week. The admitting assistant gave me the routine papers to initial and sign, saying "you know this routine and probably don't need these papers anyway." That told me that she has 'met' me before at the same admission desk.

I am thankful that we have this fine hospital in our town so that we don't have to travel far for excellent care, but I do wish they didn't know me quite so well.

When I was hospitalized in February 2009 for Afib, one of the Pink Ladies came to the door asking, "Are you the famous Anne Babin?" Gulp...well, uh, yes I guess I am. I didn't know her, but we had a mutual friend. She came in and made a nice cheerful little visit.

1 comment:

EYR said...

It is always fun to be known by name when you go somewhere....and you are the famous Anne Babin!!