Friday, January 23, 2009


What a tumultous week this has been! The Inauguration coverage was fascinating and seemingly endless. I don't know how the new First Couple managed to stay alert and smiling during those long hours, and then hit the road running early the next morning. Ah... Youth!

An interesting video was shown at the women's club meeting this week, too -- an interview filmed last summer when the subject was at home for his father's funeral, from his position in Afghanistan. This young man works with a Christian outreach group in the Muslim country - in itself a hazardous occupation. He wore his Afghani outfit, and explained each part of it. He said he could not hide his origin, since in addition to his skin color, he has a little gray in his dark hair whereas Afghanis do not turn gray. Interesting! His descriptions of the conditions in that war-torn country added a lot to the film clips of native markets, roads and people.

The volunteer time at the Book Store was Busy! Several groups were meeting in the Library in conjunction with The White House Gardens exhibit and lecture series, and many of the attendees visited the book store to get a copy of the WHG Book.

Changing the subject and mood, today I visited a friend who is a patient at our local hospital. This 83-year-old gentleman has multiple health problems and is undergoing a series of tests to find a solution to his complete lack of swallowing ability. As a Type I diabetic, blood sugar balance with food and insulin is a high priority, which complicates everything even more.

In the past I have hesitated to visit patients in a hospital, theorizing that they would not be there if they weren't sick enough to need hospitalization, therefore they would not be able to receive visitors. I had learned, from another friend who was terminal, that she would like to have some 'peace and quiet' and wished that her large family would quit 'hovering'. ( From the family's POV, they wanted to be close to their loved one every mnute - which was quite understandable.)

When I had an 8-day stay myself (about 20 years ago), and I longed for someone to talk to. Family members came when they could, but many lonely hours before I was declared 'recovered' from my fairly serious surgery would have been eased by a few friendly faces ---So I still don't know what is best.

No comments: