Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another new day

Going to the lung doctor today was an all-day affair - almost. We left at 9:15 and didn't get home til after 1:20 p.m. Only a few minutes of that time was spent at Wendy's getting lunch 'to go'.

I asked the nice nurse why it seemed like ALL doctors make appointments for a certain time, but it is one hour or more after that time before the patient is even called into the exam room. Then there's another lengthy wait to see the doctor himself (or herself). Of course each doctor has his own priorities, and I like having one sit down and spend time talking with me about my particular concerns, but really - does it take THAT long to see each patient and then to record what happened during that visit?

I have another appointment next week, this one is with my heart doctor. I know from experience that I won't see him within the hour of the appointment time. We'll most likely have a two-hour wait in the waiting room, plus another period of time in the exam room after his nurse gets her info.

There's not much I can do about it, except not keep appointments -- and that won't work at this stage of my recuperation. Just have to be sure to have reading material with me, and maybe a bit of chocolate to tide me over. Hubby manages the waiting time better than I do, for which I am thankful. I would hate to have to do these appointments by myself.

My checkup today was good - in spite of all the waiting - and my next appointment will be in April. The lung doctor wants to keep a close check on me to stay on top of things. I'm glad.

Speaking of reading material, I'm reading Stuart Woods' new "Kisser", another Stone Barrington novel. I have enjoyed everything Woods has written and this one is no exception. I also have the latest Robert B. Parker novel waiting for me after I finish "Kisser".

It's good to get back to reading! For several weeks I have not had any interest in any of the books I brought home from the Book Store to have while I recovered. I don't know if it was because my eyes were as weak as the rest of my body, but for some reason I just couldn't get into books for that time. It was easier to turn on the TV - and watch the Food Channel. I enjoyed the reruns of some of the good old sitcoms, too, on WGN while I was doing daytime TV.

1 comment:

EYR said...

Glad to hear you are reading again! Hope your suspected long wait at the heart doc doesn't come true! Maybe they will be on time for a change?!