Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SPRING ?

I didn't really 'wander lonely as a cloud' this morning but I saw "A host, of golden daffodils,... Fluttering and dancing in the breeze." No, I had a definite destination - the flower beds that flank our front walk - for the purpose of gathering another handful of those beautiful flowers.

With apologies to Poet Wordsworth for lifting a few lines, I think of that poem whenever I look out at the daffodils (aka jonquils/buttercups) in our yard.

They survived the many inches of snow this past weekend and seemed to thrive under the covering. Indeed, I had to shake some snow from some of the petals I picked this morning to grace our dining room table. Those brave blossoms tell me that spring in coming, if not already here. The forsythia in the corner of our front yard is gloriously golden, as well. There are a few grape hyacinths peeking up through the detritus of winter, and I am amazed at their survival.

These cheerful harbingers serve to lift spirits, when spirits really need the boost.

Temperatures are climbing nicely today, as promised, from an early below freezing mark to mid-40s now, with higher numbers expected by afternoon. I'm looking forward to the FRIENDS meeting today, and later a 'dinner out' with a dear friend.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the buttercups in the dining room and in the front yard as long as they last.

1 comment:

EYR said...

Our neighbor has a forsythia bush between our two front yards and I love when it blooms. Between that shrub and the daffodils, the yards have nice splashes of perky yellow. It does make you feel better!