Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rainy Sunday and Dames of Magna Charta

Loud thunder woke me too early this morning, when I should have slept until noon, at least - based on how tired I was from yesterday's activities. But knowing that the electric power was likely to go off with the storm, I got up to get that first cup of coffee while I still could.

Yesterday was a delightful day, all told. I drove, taking my sister, daughter and granddaughter with me, to the country club in Memphis where the West Tennessee Chapter Dames of the Magna Charta and Somerset Barons were meeting for business, program and lunch. This is my second time to serve a 2-year term as Regent of the organization. After letting my passengers out at the door, I went on around to the handicap parking, and bless Katy, found a space!

Membership in this hereditary organization is based on lineal descent of the applicant to one or more of the Barons who, at Runnymede in 1215, forced King John of England to sign that magnificent document, the Magna Charta, upon which our constitutional government is based. Membership is by invitation, and submission of his/her forms showing their descent. Upon approval by the national board, the member is then welcomed to the Society.

We had a large number of members and guests in attendance for the event yesterday, and it appeared that everyone enjoyed the meeting -- with an 8-year-old pianist performing for us, a delicious meal, and a speaker who spoke on "Magna Charta Libertatum". His talk was well-received, timely and informative. Lorelei, the pianist, is the daughter and granddaughter of Chapter members, and has attended meetings with her family for many years. She exhibited great poise and budding ability at the piano. She studies with a teacher at Vanderbilt in Nashville.

The speaker is active in the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), and is a state officer/advisor for the Children of the American Revolution (CAR), in addition to teaching architecture (his field) at college level.

I was tired when we retraced our steps to arrive back home mid-afternoon.

Unfortunately, this meeting prevented me and my sister from attending the funeral services for our friend, Clyde Dixon. It's not possible to be in two places at the same time, and the meeting had been on the calendar for several months. As presiding officer, my choice was limited. Clyde's death was sudden and totally unforeseen. He was a vibrant member of our Sunday school class, church and the community and will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him or knew of him.

The loud and active thunderstorm has moved out of our area now, and the power did NOT go off, for a change!

No comments: